Welcome to Dr Lincoln's blog

Welcome for visiting my blog. Hope you enjoy the visit and always welcome back again. Have a nice day!

2009-05-27

Enforcing international laws to deal with the North Korea regime

Comments on the question to me by Aurelia George Mulgan, 26/05/2009, http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2009/05/25/roos-to-japan/#comments

I can’t answer the question that Aurelia George Mulgan asked of me. That is a question for China.

What I’d like to say is that why don’t the international community use the international court system to indict the leaders of the current NK regime, if they have violated international laws, as US president Obama has said? I think the Security Council should authorise the international prosecutors to do that and put pressures on the current NK leaderships.

I think this might be a good way to enforce international laws. In a case involving head of government or state, it should be authorised by the Security Council before any indictment being made.

That approach will make sure both that any significant breaches of international laws can be prosecuted and that the system of international court is not abused by any individual country. What are those laws for? They are there for countries and people to abide. If any one does not, then there should be a workable mechanism to enforce those international laws. That is the point I want to make.

There is an urgent need for a fair, just and effective framework to enforce international laws. I hope my proposal can provide some food for thought in making the UN system more effective. Every country has sovereignty, but if you are a member of UN and subscribe to its laws, you should abide them. If you don't, there will be consequences of not complying with them. Otherwise why do we need the UN and international laws?

No comments:

Post a Comment